Did You Know?
-More than 1 in 5 people in Bay Point live in poverty, more than twice the average for Contra Costa County.
-Bay Point is a small unincorporated community in East Contra Costa County where most residents struggle to make ends meet.
The CHD Difference
FNL is important because I learn new skills that help me at home, with friends, and at school. Most importantly, it makes me feel empowered and a part of my community.
-17 year old Friday Night Live (FNL) participant
How does CHD Create Healthier Communities?
Center for Human Development actively advocates improving the environmental conditions that affect the health and well-being of low income communities. CHD provides opportunities for community members to assess their communities and dedicate their time to projects focused on creating healthier, safer, and more equitable community environments. Staff works collaboratively with community leaders, parents, and other agencies to develop prevention strategies and advocate for positive changes in the community, and to influence public policy.
Friday Night Live
- The Friday Night Live (FNL) program builds partnerships between young people and adults that provide opportunities for youth to be active leaders and resources in their communities.
- Adult staff supports teens in building skills to tackle difficult issues such as alcohol and other drug abuse.
- CHD provides the youth a platform to drive change at the local policymaking level. Young students assess their problem, create and implement an action plan, and collaborate with school and community groups doing similar work in the county.
- In the process, FNL members gain life-long skills in public speaking, project planning, conflict resolution and time management.
FNL chapters include:
2 high school chapters
1 middle school Club Live
1 countywide youth coalition: CourAGE
Co-facilitated with Contra Costa Office of Education TUPE (Tobacco Use Prevention) Program
ADAPT (formerly Lamorinda Alcohol Policy Coalition)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Environmental Prevention Program
- Primarily focused in Lamorinda:
- Three main goals for the Lamorinda Community:
- Reduce underage drinking
- Reduce underage marijuana use
- Reduce prescription drug use
- Schools are centric to the community and therefore a majority of the work is done within the schools.
- Projects are undertaken to change the norms around underage substance use in the community.
- Involvement includes law enforcement, school officials, and concerned citizens
East County Community Leadership Network
- The Community Leaders Network (CLN) is a group of residents in East Contra Costa County empowering their communities to create hope and opportunity through solutions to affordable housing, low-wages, and unfair racial displacement. Because the region is experiencing tremendous social and economic changes, the CLN actively advocates for jobs with livable wages, affordable housing, access to transportation, climate justice, and community benefits to improve the quality of life in our communities.
- In order to voice the concerns and desires of community members who have had the greatest stake in improving neighborhood environments and the health and well-being of low-income people, especially people of color, the homeless, and the elderly, the CLN has offers the following:
- An Equity Agenda calling for clean industry that keeps our workers and communities’ safe and creates local, good-paying jobs for everyone, especially people of color and low-income people. We also envision open space, small businesses, affordable housing, and low-cost and efficient public transit in surrounding areas.
- Monthly leadership meetings during which collective action is planned through shared decision-making.
- Training and Leadership Development opportunities.
- Opportunities engage policymakers and be heard and provide input into the decision-making processes that address community needs, concerns, and vision for the future.
Contacts & Locations
- Serves the cities of Lafayette, Moraga, and Orinda
Community Leadership Network
- Serves the cities of Bay Point and Pittsburg
Friday Night Live
- Antioch Middle School
- CourAGE (Countywide)
- John Sweet High School
- Mount Diablo High School