Concord, CA 94520
Salary: $40,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year
Center for Human Development
Beyond Violence Central County Partnership Program
Violence Intervention Specialist
Background: The Center for Human Development is a community-based organization that offers a spectrum of services for at-risk youth, individuals, families, and communities in the Bay Area. Since 1972 we have provided wellness programs and support aimed at empowering people and promoting positive growth. Our dedicated staff and several hundred volunteers create and deliver programs and services addressing wellness and prevention, youth leadership, conflict resolution, parenting skills, and other challenges facing the community. Our volunteers work side-by-side with our staff to deliver quality programs in schools and community sites throughout Contra Costa as well as nearby counties. We are known for our innovative programs and are committed to improving the quality of life in our communities.
Job Summary: The Beyond Violence Intervention Specialist will provide case management, prevention education, resource navigation, holistic and crisis support to young people ages 15-25 years onsite at CHD, at John Muir Medical Center (Concord CA), or John Muir Medical Center (Walnut Creek, CA), and at various school sites.
- Provide intake and assessment, case management, resource navigation, one-on-one holistic and crisis support and referral for clinical services.
- Work with health organizations and clinical treatment agencies to provide and coordinate tailored support and services for young people, with other CHD programs, and with external partners.
- Promote program by making presentations to school administrators and teachers, CARE teams, parents and family members, and law enforcement.
- Work with hospital and health providers, local law enforcement and public safety agencies, attending meetings to advocate for clients.
- Support center-wide prevention and intervention efforts.
- Lead or co-lead prevention education and social support groups in community-based or school-based settings.
- Maintain client files.
- Collect and submit timely information for weekly and monthly tracking as required.
- Support program evaluation work.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Needed
- Experience providing case management and crisis supports to young people, including those most vulnerable to lethal injury and/or juvenile justice and criminal justice systems involvement (required).
- Experience working with youth and families who have experienced trauma using trauma informed interventions (required).
- Experienced working with young people from the diverse communities in Contra Costa County, including young people who have been incarcerated, are involved in the juvenile and criminal justice systems, and/or gang affiliated (highly desired).
- Experience working in a fast-paced multicultural youth environment.
- Experienced working in youth development, community organizing, public health/community health or related field.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and occasional weekends.
- Spanish bilingual and bicultural skills (highly desired).
- High school graduate or GED; some community college preferred.
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License (required).
- Passion for social justice.
- Willing to adapt scope and responsibilities as needed to achieve CHD’s mission and best serve the priorities, needs, and interests of program participants.
- Ability to serve a diverse population with sensitivity and competency.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position. The salary range is $40,000.00 – $45,000.00, depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, 11 holidays and 19 vacation days per year and a retirement plan (No Employer Contributions).
Email or send resume and cover letter that state why you are both interested and qualified for the position to the address below. (Position opens until filled). If submitting via email please put “Beyond Violence Intervention Specialist,” in subject line. Submit all documents as attachments; do not embed resume or cover letter in the email. Please do not fax.
Center for Human Development
901 Sunvalley Blvd, Suite 220
Concord, CA 94520
CHD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate as to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin including language limitations, ancestry, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics), age (40 and above), disability (mental and physical) including HIV and AIDS, denial of pregnancy disability leave or reasonable accommodation, gender identification, or Vietnam Era or special disabled veteran status. (Smoke-free environment)