Concord, CA 94518
Alcohol and Other Drugs Prevention Specialist
Center for Human Development
The Center for Human Development is a community-based organization that offers a spectrum of services for at-risk youth, individuals, families, and communities in the Bay Area. Since 1972, we have provided wellness programs and support aimed at empowering people and promoting positive growth. Our dedicated staff and several hundred volunteers create and deliver programs and services addressing wellness and prevention, youth leadership, conflict resolution, parenting skills, and other challenges facing the community. We deliver quality programs in school, clinic, and community sites throughout Contra Costa.
This program is an evidence-based Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) prevention program for youth. The Program Coordinator facilitates resiliency-focused AOD Prevention Education groups; interactive, activity-based Process groups; and individual Prevention Assessment and Brief Intervention. The Program Coordinator also facilitates school-wide and parent-specific AOD awareness activities and events.
Job Description:The Alcohol and Other Drugs Prevention Specialist assists the Program Manager in the implementation of specific programs. This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position serving youth at 2 middle school sites in Contra Costa County.
- Recruit program participants;
- Collaborate with school administrators, teachers, and staff;
- Implement and facilitate program activities with program participants;
- Provide resource and referral information to program participants;
- Maintain all data required for reporting purposes, including program evaluations;
- Attend staff and county meetings, trainings, and clinical supervision as required;
- Conduct outreach and facilitate parent education events;
- Work with Program Manager to adapt and revise program as necessary;
- Other duties as assigned by Program Manager.
(Next page please)
Alcohol and Other Drugs Prevention Specialist, page two
Requirements: A qualified candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics related to successful performance in this position:
- Associate degree in health, human services, or related field. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two to three (2-3) years experience with youth and families and experience in substance abuse prevention or related field;
- Experience working with diverse communities;
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating and facilitating groups with youth and parents from high-risk environments;
- Demonstrated skills in working with youth individually, providing crisis intervention and community referrals;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including basic computer skills;
- Occasional evening and weekend work required;
- Successful background check and clean TB test;
- Valid California Driver’s license, reliable transportation, and evidence of insurance coverage.
- Strong preference for Spanish speakers
Alcohol and Other Drugs Youth Services Manager
Starting salary: Negotiable
Benefits include medical, dental, 11 holidays and 19 vacation days per year and a retirement plan. This is a full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position.
Please submit a resume and cover letter that speak to why you are both interested and qualified for the position. Submit via e-mail and include Alcohol and Other Drugs Prevention Specialist in the subject line. All documents need to be submitted as attachments. Do not embed resume or cover letter in the email. Send to the email addresses below:
People of Color and Bilingual Applicants Strongly Encouraged to Apply
CHD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate as to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin including language limitations, ancestry, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics), age (40 and above), disability (mental and physical) including HIV and AIDS, denial of pregnancy disability leave or reasonable accommodation, gender identification, or Vietnam Era or special disabled veteran status. CHD maintains a smoke-free environment.
Job Type: Full-time