Pittsburg, CA 94565
Center for Human Development
East County Alcohol Policy Coalition Organizer
Position is 40 hours a week
The Center for Human Development is a community-based organization that offers a spectrum of services for at-risk youth, individuals, families, and communities in the Bay Area. Since 1972, we have provided prevention programs and support aimed at empowering people and promoting positive growth. Our dedicated staff and several hundred volunteers create and deliver programs and services addressing wellness and prevention, youth leadership, conflict resolution, parenting skills, and other challenges facing the community. Our volunteers work side-by-side with our staff to deliver quality programs in schools, clinics, and community sites throughout Contra Costa. CHD offers a strong team environment and benefit package for employees.
The East County Alcohol Policy Coalition meets monthly and works with concerned citizens in Antioch, Pittsburg and Bay Point regarding underage drinking, youth access to alcohol, and local alcohol policy. The East County Alcohol Policy Coalition played an important role in the passage of the Social Host Ordinance in the cities of Pittsburg and Antioch.
The East County Alcohol Policy Coalition conducts outreach to local youth and adult groups as well as individuals to create “action teams” that will focus on underage drinking, youth access to alcohol, and local alcohol policy. The organizer will ensure the completion of the work plan that aligns with the County Strategic Plan, including coordinating education and outreach activities to support Social Host Ordinances in Pittsburg and Antioch.
The organizer will have a home base office in Antioch and will be working in a community with diverse populations. A candidate who speaks and writes conversational Spanish would be a plus for this position.
- Work to ensure the implementation of the East County Alcohol Policy (ECAP) work plan, so that it aligns with the Strategic Plan of Contra Costa Alcohol and Other Drugs Administration;
- Recruit coalition members for the East County Alcohol Policy Coalition;
- Maintain strong relationships with current and potential coalition members, including community members, law enforcement, youth, etc.;
- Plan and facilitate monthly coalition meetings, in partnership with coalition members;
- Ensure that East County Alcohol Policy Coalition members are informed of legislative and policy issues related to alcohol use and of local merchant compliance status;
- Coordinate outreach for Pittsburg and Antioch’s Social Host Ordinance;
- Build relationships with local merchants for recruitment, education, and monitoring purposes;
- Maintain communication with merchants who have expressed a desire to improve their compliance with AOD (alcohol and other drug) laws and policies;
- Conduct community outreach presentations, including speaking at governmental meetings;
- Produce a monthly e-newsletter documenting any accomplishments and issues of interest to community and merchants;
- Maintain documentation binder and complete required paperwork;
- Attend county, community, agency, and team meetings and training as required;
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: A qualified candidate will demonstrate the following characteristics for successful performance in this position:
- Associate degree in community organizing, health, human services, or related field. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Work or volunteer experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Experience in organizing community groups for social change;
- Demonstrated skills in coordinating and facilitating groups of adults and/or youth;
- Ability to recruit and motivate adults and youth;
- Knowledge of alcohol and other drug prevention principles and practices, including environmental prevention;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Ability to organize and set priorities;
- Experience working with diverse communities, with knowledge of East County a plus;
- Ability to adjust time to allow for some evening or weekend meetings;
- Computer proficiency, sufficient to input data, create reports and flyers, and receive and respond to emails;
- Valid California Driver’s License and reliable transportation and evidence of insurance coverage.
- Strong preference for Spanish speaking
Lives in East Contra Costa County
The hourly pay range for this position is negotiable depending on experience. Benefits include medical, dental, 19 days of vacation, 11 holidays, 8 hours of sick leave per month, and a retirement plan, which are all pro-rated based on FTE. This is a non-exempt position, 40 hours per week.
Please reply to this email and submit a resume and cover letter that speak to why you are both interested and qualified for the position. Write East County Alcohol Coalition Organizer in the subject line and submit all documents as attachments. Do not embed resume or cover letter in the email.
People of Color and Bilingual Applicants Strongly Encouraged to Apply
CHD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate as to sex, sexual orientation, race, color, religious creed, marital status, national origin including language limitations, ancestry, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics), age (40 and above), disability (mental and physical) including HIV and AIDS, denial of pregnancy disability leave or reasonable accommodation, gender identification, or Vietnam Era or special disabled veteran status. CHD maintains a smoke-free environment.